Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm Lisa a mom to two girls and a wife to a US Navy Submariner. I have a passion for running, nutrition and all things fitness. For me running or training hard at the gym equals 24 hours of complete joy in a day. If this blog inspires and helps motivate you, then I hope you continue reading.

My Blog List

03 June 2013

Motivation Mondays - H 2 O Staying Hydrated



As an athlete it is important to stay hydrated. I make sure my water bottle is filled all the time. If I don't have my bottle then I end up drinking  sugary drinks or soft drinks (doesn't matter if its diet, caffeine-free, or flavored, they all contribute to dehydration). I choose not to drink sugary drinks or soda (on a daily basis) because they are empty calories. Think about it, a day of beverages can add up to 1370 calories!



Many people underestimate the importance of drinking water. The human brain is composed of 95% water; blood is 82% water; the lungs are nearly 90% water.

Water has many health benefits. Health benefits include:

Healthier Skin.
Healthier Teeth & Bones.
Healthier Joints.
Healthier Mind & Body.
Healthier Digestive System.
Reduces Fatigue.
Helps In Weight Loss.
Reduces Fluid Retention.
Increases Energy.
Helps Build Muscle.
Increases Muscle Tone.

I drink water at regular intervals intervals regardless if I am thirsty or not. Remember, by the time you are thirsty, you will already be dehydrated. For me, it is essential that I stay hydrated if I want to build muscle and experience optimal performance in the gym.

There is such a thing of drinking too much water. Although drinking water is important, don't get carried away and drink too much. It is suggested that the average person (which is fairly inactive) requires a minimum of 8 to 12 cups of water per day. However, this amount is far too low for athletes. Active people need much more to replace the fluid lost during exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment