Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm Lisa a mom to two girls and a wife to a US Navy Submariner. I have a passion for running, nutrition and all things fitness. For me running or training hard at the gym equals 24 hours of complete joy in a day. If this blog inspires and helps motivate you, then I hope you continue reading.

My Blog List

20 April 2013

Dolphin Dash 10k Race Recap

Last weekend I ran in the 10k Dolphin Dash on base. It was my FIRST race of 2013!!

I have only run 6 miles twice, two weeks prior to this event. The past few months I've been running about 2 to 3 miles at a time. I knew I wouldn't set a PR because the race included HILLS. Hills that I am very familiar with and they kick my ass every time.

I've been experiencing some calf and shin pain lately ( I know, I'm full of excuses) so prior to the race I took a bayer to help relieve some of the pain.





10k Dolphin Dash Race Recap:

Mile 1 - I started slow. The first large hill came about a half mile in to the race which I CONQUERED!!  Going up this hill fast or slow, the hill gets me every time. Not during this race though. I was able to run up the entire hill with out stopping, and I was able to control my breathing the entire way up. Usually when I run up this hill I am completely out of breath and have to stop once I get to the top. Well once I got to the top, I kept running! No walking break was necessary.

Mile 2- After the first large hill I managed to pick up the pace. Then I came across the second hill. Once again, I owned it!!! Still no walking break needed.

Mile 3- I picked up the pace a little more. Came across 2 more hills, once again without stoping!  I did slow down once I reached the top of the last hill. Thirty seconds later I was able to pick up the pace again, even threw in some sprints.

Mile 4- At this point I'm like "okay, when is this race going to end?" I was tired, slowed down some but I kept running.

Mile 5- This was probably the toughest mile for me because I was running against the wind.

Mile 6- Last half of mile 6 I ran as fast as I could to the finish line!

10k time: 56:20


Overall I was very impressed with my time given the fact that I haven't run a 10k in a while. I didn't walk once, and I was able to run up each hill with out stopping.  Amazing run if you ask me!

Although I didn't set a PR, I managed to get third place in my age group. I think there were only about 8 of us in my age group but I'm still grateful I placed.


No comments:

Post a Comment